Wallpaper is a heck of a lot more complicated than you might think. It’s more than just choosing the design and sticking it up on your walls. And, in many ways, it’s not just about what the pattern looks like. There are plenty of factors that go into buying wallpaper, which is why we compiled this list of Dos and Don’ts to make your home better looking!
What is the Purpose of Wallpaper?
Wallpaper has been around for centuries and its popularity has waxed and waned over time. Today, wallpaper is making a comeback as a popular design element in homes. However, many people are unsure of how to use wallpaper correctly. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the purpose of wallpaper and offer some dos and don’ts to help you make the most of this design element in your home.
The primary purpose of wallpaper is to add visual interest to a space. Wallpaper can be used to add colour, pattern, or texture to a room. It can also be used to cover up imperfections in walls or to add insulation.
When it comes to using wallpaper in your home, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you need to decide if you want permanent or temporary wallpaper. Permanent wallpaper is glued or applied with adhesive and is more difficult to remove. Temporary wallpaper is usually peel-and-stick and can be removed more easily.
Types of Wallpapers
There are a few different types of wallpapers to choose from and each has its own set of pros and cons. Here’s a quick rundown of the most popular types of wallpapers so you can make the best decision for your home:
1. Vinyl Wallpaper:
Vinyl wallpaper is one of the most popular types on the market because it’s durable, easy to clean, and fairly inexpensive. However, it can be difficult to remove and is not always the best choice for rooms that get a lot of sunlight or heat.
2. Foil Wallpaper:
Foil wallpaper adds a bit of luxury to any space with its metallic finish. It’s also fairly durable and easy to clean, but it can be quite expensive.
3. Fabric Wallpaper:
Fabric wallpaper is softer and more textured than other types. It’s also easy to remove, making it a good choice for renters or anyone who likes to change up their décor often. However, fabric wallpaper can be susceptible to staining and is not always the best choice for high-traffic areas.
4. Paper Wallpaper:
Paper wallpaper is the most traditional type and has been around for centuries. It’s usually made of thick, absorbent paper, which means it can be damaged if it comes in contact with water. However, it is also the least expensive type of wallpaper.
What to Consider When Designing a Room
When it comes to wallpaper, there are a few things you should keep in mind to make sure your room looks its best. First, consider the colours of the room. You’ll want to choose a wallpaper that complements the other colours in the room. Second, think about the pattern of the wallpaper. If the room is already busy with a lot of patterns, you’ll want to choose a simpler wallpaper. Third, take into account the size of the room. Smaller rooms can be overwhelmed by busy patterns or dark colours, so it’s best to choose something light and airy. And finally, don’t forget about texture! Texture can add interest and depth to any room, so be sure to consider it when choosing your wallpaper.
Dos and Don’ts for Choosing a Wallpaper
When it comes to choosing wallpaper for your home, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, pick a pattern that you love and that fits your style. Second, make sure the wallpaper is durable and easy to clean. And lastly, don’t be afraid to experiment!
Now that you know the basics, here are a few dos and don’ts to help you choose the perfect wallpaper for your home:
– Pick a pattern that you love and that fits your style
– Make sure the wallpaper is durable and easy to clean
– Experiment with different colours and textures
– Choose a wallpaper that is too busy or overwhelming
– Go for something too trendy that you’ll tire of quickly
– Forget to take into consideration the other elements in the room
How to Hang Wallpaper
One of the quickest and easiest ways to update the look of your home is to change the wallpaper. But before you start stripping off your old wallpaper and putting up new paper, there are a few things you need to know. Here are some dos and don’ts for hanging wallpaper in your home:
– Make sure the walls are clean and free of any debris before you start.
– Use a level to make sure your wallpaper is hung straight.
– Take your time when applying the wallpaper adhesive. You want to make sure it’s evenly applied so that your paper will stay put.
– Hang the wallpaper from the top down so that you can trim off the excess at the bottom.
– Use a sharp knife or scissors to cut around outlets and other obstacles.
– Smooth out any bubbles as you go along with a smoothing tool.
– Don’t try to hang wallpaper by yourself if you’ve never done it before. It’s best to have someone else help you so that one person can hold the paper while the other applies the adhesive.
– Don’t apply too much adhesive or your paper may tear.
– Don’t try to sand your wallpaper after you hang it. The adhesive holds it in place, so the sanding will just rip up your paper.
In conclusion, following these simple dos and don’ts for wallpaper will help make your home look better. With a little bit of planning and effort, you can create a beautiful space that you and your family will love spending time in. Thanks for reading!